Thursday 22 March 2018

Promotional Video {Final Product and Evaluation}

Final Product: {Car Promotional Video}
 

After a lot of hard and dedication, my promotional video is finally finished and has received a lot of positive feedback from my client, so I am finally ready to evaluate my promotional video.


Planning:
My planning started out during my initial meeting with my client, during this meeting my client and I discussed the direction in which we wanted this promotional video to go due to the final product being beneficial for both parties involved. We both decided that creating a promotional video for a Peugeot 5008, which won car of the year 2018 for "Best Large SUV" as well as it being the new seven-seat car, that is replacing the 5008 people carrier and switching to the popular SUV format as it does so. During this meeting I also suggested to my client that we featured both manual and automatic in order to inform our audience that the car offers both transmission. 

However, some things that my client and I discussed during this meeting didn't go to plan towards the final production as my client told me I would be allowed both transmissions in the show room so I was guaranteed good lighting as well as a simplistic background making it easier for me during filming, but unfortunately this didn't happen and only the automatic transmission was placed in the showroom and the manual transmission was placed in the garage outside which had very low key lighting, limiting my final footage. However, if I was to carry out this task again, I would have took various lighting set-ups to avoid the set back of low key lighting, the equipment would involve: reflectors, add-on light sources to create a 3-point-light set up.

The planning aspect of this task was vital as it insured my client and I that everything would be able to run smoothly, creating a Gantt Chart was one of the main aspects of planning as the Gantt Chart helped me to keep on top of filming as well as helping my client throughout the process as it gave him a brief outline of what is going on during the process, this allowed him to keep up to date with my plans as well as allowing us to stick to a schedule. Having the Gantt Chart in place allowed my client and I to see the dates in which each task would be completed as well as seeing when free time would be if the weather disrupted our filming schedule, luckily it didn't as we managed to dodge the weather conditions with our planned dates.

Creating a Shot List and a Visual Mood-Board helped me visually display my ideas towards my client and help me communicate what the final product would look like as well as allow my client to see if anything would like to be changed or added before the process of filming began. The Shot List allowed me to already have an insight into what I would be filming on the day before I executed it, during the planning I said I might have used the shot list but when it came around to filming I defiantly used it and I felt like it was my best idea during the process as it helped both me and my client with the shots during filming and gave ourselves an idea of what the final product could look like before the shot had been carried out.

I personally think my planning would have been better if my client could have moved both of the cars into the showroom as that would have allowed me to perfectly execute high quality footage of both traditions instead of having loads of footage from the automatic transmission and only having 4 clips on the manual transmission.

Communication:
I think the communication with my client was always very brief as we decided to communicate through Facebook as it is a quick platform of exchange. Using Facebook allowed me to always see when my client had delivered and received my messages, where as on email it's quite hard to know when your client is going to reply due to you not knowing when they are actively online.

Even though I chose a social media platform to communicate with my client, I managed to stay professional at all times which was re-assured to me from the feedback from my client;  'Leah was very professional and was very pleasant at all times, very happy with the video and Leah had some great ideas'.

Sometimes in the process I wished my clients replies were more long and professional instead of being as brief as sometimes they were only one worded answers at times or thumbs up, however I was always assured on my clients feelings towards the promotional video.

Editing:
During the filming process I collected over 200 clips which weren't all the best quality, so I took the time to watch each clip and delete ones which weren't perfect quality and separated them into different folders depending on the footage.

When editing, I decided to separate my footage into these folders:
  • Automatic Trans and Accessories
  • Interior
  • Garage
  • Outside Footage {CAR}
  • Manual Transmission
This process made it a lot easier when it came around to editing as I knew which footage was where, making the post production a lot quicker as I wasn't constantly looking for certain footage as it was in a designated place.

During the editing process, I decided to use simple editing techniques I used to produce a clean promotional video featuring the Brand New Peugeot 5008 SUV. I decided to use basic editing of a fade in between each clip as I think it created a smooth transition and didn't distract the audience from the main focus of the car.  

I create the fade using the 'Pen Tool' the pen tool places a dot on your footage that can be dragged to various points on the clip. I placed 6 points on my footage all together this was shared between two clips; I placed 3 marks on the right footage and three points on the left, the points on the right go down in a diagonal line from the left and the left footage goes up in a diagonal line from the right creating a swoop.

A very important part of the editing process was finding the copyright free music that fits the theme of the video, copyright free means that you don't have to get permission or pay for the use. During this process I searched the whole of YouTube to find the best music that complimented the promotional I was creating, after hours of searching I came across a YouTube channel called 'Audio Library - No Copy Right Music' which had hundreds of copyright free music that is available to the public to download for free. 

After scrolling through the different types of music and listening to a few seconds of each one, I was looking for something positive and upbeat as I wanted to keep my audience engaged and have a balance between the music and the footage so neither one was over powering each element. After ages of searching and listening I decided upon 'Happy - MBB' as it perfectly fitted the description of what I was looking for but unfortunately it wasn't long enough so in post production I edited it and match the beats when I cut it so that it continued to play smoothly.

Filming:
I think the filming process was quite smooth due to my planning being so good if I do say so myself, my planning contributed a lot when it came to filming as it gave me a perfectly outline for everything I needed to achieve for my final product.

On the day of filming, I discovered that not everything I had planned for or been told was correct, I was told by my client that I would be allowed both transmissions in the show room so I was guaranteed good lighting as well as a simplistic background making it easier for me during filming, but unfortunately this didn't happen and only the automatic transmission was placed in the showroom and the manual transmission was placed in the garage outside which had very dark lighting, limiting my final footage.

Also on the day of filming the weather wasn't perfect and some snow was still on the road adding an extra day onto filming and resulted in me having to come back again the next day to film the outdoor footage which did work in my favour as it allowed me to go over some footage and effect what I had as well as getting feedback from my client.

Client Feedback:
In order to collect feedback from my client, I arranged a meeting with the Store Manager and showed him the final product and have him fill out a 'Promotional Video Client Questionnaire' that allows our client to state their satisfaction towards the work constructed.

Each question could be rated from Unsatisfactory to Outstanding.

1 = Unsatisfactory
2 = Satisfactory
3 = Good
4 = Outstanding

The questions asked to be rated by our client were:
  • Communication between you {Client} and the Production Team {Student} including receptiveness to ideas and making changed required to you.
  • The Production Teams ability to consider the safety of you and your customers.
  • The planning constructed by the Production Team including any incorporation of your ideas as well as offering creative ideas to the project.
  • The productions team's ability to present your brand and attract the audience required for your business.
  • The quality of footage.
  • The quality of the finished film.
My client gave me all 'Outstanding' for the following questions as well as adding a little something in any other comments, my client simply wrote: 'Leah was very professional and was very pleasant at all times, very happy with the video and Leah had some great ideas'. 

Overall I am pleased with my final product as well as the feedback I received from my client and would be happy to film another video for this client as he remained polite throughout this process as well as great with ideas making it easier for myself as we managed to bounce ideas continuously of each other.

To ensure success in this promotional video I would have created short videos that could be posted on bigger social media platform such as Instagram due to them having a duration limit of 1 minute; having this video on Instagram would allow the company to be seen by millions of people across the world in such a short about of time. I would also add a tracker to any platforms the video was posted on, so I could constantly keep track of the views and the interest it has gained from the public. Another way of determining success of this video could have been adding a social media linking at the end of the full length video so that the audience could be directly linked to social media platforms; creating a diverse platform for all. 

Mini Promotional Video:


When I showed my client the rough draft he asked if it was possible for me to create a shorter promotional video {1 minute} as well as a full length one {3 minutes} so that he could use it for various social media platforms such as Twitter and Instagram due to the company wanting to try something new. To achieve the 1 minute long promotional video I decided to trim the video and just feature the outside footage of the car as it shows the car with information regarding the car dealership and how to request a test drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment